The Pupil Deprivation Grant (PDG) is the Welsh Government’s principal means of supporting schools to tackle the effects of poverty on educational attainment.
The purpose of the PDG is to improve outcomes for learners eligible for free school meals (FSM).
It is intended to overcome the additional barriers that prevent learners from disadvantaged backgrounds achieving their full potential.
In 2015/16 Ysgol Ffordd Dyffryn has received a Pupil Deprivation Grant allocation of £57,000
We are using the grant to fund the following activities:
- Employment of a Teaching Assistant to take on the role of intervention leader to support groups of pupils in Foundation Phase and Key Stage 2. They will plan and deliver intervention strategies for groups of learners (Boost / Buzz), monitor and track pupil progress.
- Release of Teaching Assistant to undertake additional support groups at school e.g. Nurture (behaviour group) and Seasons for Growth (emotional group).
- Employment of Parent Engagement Officer, who will work closely with administration assistant to improve attendance levels. Parent Engagement officer will facilitate engagement with parents/carers and support pupils. They will run family learning programmes, Pyramid Clubs and a support network for parenting. Parent Engagement Officer will also lead on Community projects e.g. Starbucks, Dyffryn DIY days.
- Training for a teacher to undertake Forest School and Beach School accredited training and investment in resources to motivate and enhance pupil attainment.
- Investment in ICT, literacy and numeracy resources.
- Management time to analyse data in maths and literacy and implementation of PASS to ensure progress is made and that appropriate intervention is assigned to ensure all FSM pupils achieve to their full potential.
- Improve extra-curricular activities/outdoor area to offer wide range of options for pupils
- Transition – Peer/Parent project. (Fast Forward / Smooth Moves) A more supported and seamless transition for pupils between Foundation Phase and KS2 and also for students moving to Secondary School to ensure continued progress is made. Also to include team building activities for pupils and parents at Nant BH.
The impact and evaluation of these activities will be undertaken on a regular basis.